Monday, November 15, 2010

FRIENDS AND ACQUINTANCES

How do I start these? It being my first attempt of me doing serious blogging, I’m at a loss whether or not I can be able to hack it and also maintain it’s relevance till end point. I have had so many issues that I consider important and those I can relate to in terms of where I am currently and where I want to be in the future. Some are personal and tend to focus on who I am as a person, my friends and day to day acquaintances and my social life. These issues tend to say much about me and thus tend to guard them fiercely and will only allow the very few who are chosen. I tend to be a very private person and I only open up to those who I really trust and I have confidence in their discretion and to tell the truth they aren’t many on that list. Some of those I even consider to be my friends have acceptance and prejudicial issues and thus I really can’t open up to them.

What does the above have to do with what I’m trying to pass through this article? Well all I am trying to say is we really need to be able to differentiate between all those we relate with in our day to day undertakings and be able to comfortably handle the in the orders they follow. We have childhood friends who we grew up together, went to school with, who are like brothers to us and will be there to give an account of your life when all is said and done. You feel free to share all you have with them, with them you are the real you because they know where you come from, and all that you did, have seen you in your most revealing moments – hell, you jerked off together when you were little or even went skin deeping in the river.

Then when school, mostly high school and college, another group of friends comes into play, the school buddies who in essence constitute acquaintances of the time you are trying to discover who you really are and what you want in life. This are the fun times, when you go all out and break all guarding walls trying to restrain you and your targets. Buddies will be there in all your bar fights without them blaming you for having started the fights. They will take blows and punches by your side and in doing so cementing something that may last a lifetime. For me I’ve very few of this group left in my life because if by any chance you life priorities differ, you tend to drift apart and at long last what you thought you shared fades into the oblivion.

On the same note there are those you get acquainted due to your faiths and beliefs. These are your fellow church friends who share your beliefs and convictions about life and thus you are drawn together by the same. Also friends brought about by your profession and career fall in this category. These groups of people, in my opinion are more of acquaintances and that the name friend is misused in reference to them because they got nothing more to offer apart from the faith and work issues.

The other group of people I’m going to tackle are the virtual friends. They consist of all those you interact with over the web and even over the phones. In some cases you maybe friends in real life while at other times you may have no idea of who they really are apart from the bits and pieces you’ve seen or heard about them over time. Virtual friends makes up a complex , intricate and intriguing group of people and to really say that one fully understands them is like trying to convince people that Jesus was black, now that’s a challenge I most definitely won’t take on no matter what. From my own personal experience, I’ve had virtual friend from social networks – Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Yahoo, Tagged and Google. From what I know, Facebookers are the most active and intriguing group of virtual friends currently with everyone even our conservative parents being taken over by the facebook fever. Facebookers comes in all manner of characters and attributes and from their sheer numbers, one is assured to get the person with the attribute that best suits one’s needs or so it may seem. What one needs to understand is that one shouldn’t believe all that you see in these social networks and people tend to spice up their accounts to make their lives interesting and more appealing to the rest. Yahoo and Google (gmail) tend to be the most conservative of the social networks despite the fact that they have been in operation longer than the rest. Titter is the new kid in the block and has taken virtual friendship to new heights and also has revolutionized how virtual friendship works in that with others, one has to basically make a request to his targeted friend so as to connect but on twitter this is not necessarily the case whereby instead of us connecting, one follows his targeted friend and this can be done to anybody including international acclaimed people. Don’t ask me how tagged work coz I really have no idea which demography of people they target but that is beside the point.

The kind of people one may meet in the social networks varies, you may be lucky to find some good souls, people who you feel connected to even though you have never met them in person. These are the kind you share the same beliefs in life and thus the connection. Then there are those who are there for personal interests and don’t care whether or not you have anything to offer. The ones who one should be wary of consist of those weirdoes whose intentions are to cause trouble. They will pretend to care so that you open up to them but all they are after are details to spoil your name and in the process hurt you.

So I guess it all comes down to knowing who you consider to be your friend and the reasons behind that, and those who are just acquaintances

No comments:

Post a Comment